Saturday, April 12, 2008

The chinese grocery store






















I love the chinese grocery store down the street from me. First of all, I love it because it has all manner of exotic (to me) ingredients, and second of all, I love it because it is cheap. Look at all the food I got (bottom picture), for about nine dollars. You can't tell from the picture, but that is two pounds of tofu, for a mere two dollars, my friend. That is about half what it costs at Krogers.


Plus, I got dried shitake mushrooms, fresh rice noodles that I plan to attempt pad thai with, jasmine tea, and a pound of the most adorable baby bok choi you ever did see. On the reciept they were listed as "baby bok choi junior", I'm guessing because they were so dang tiny! You can see how small they were, from the picture on the left. No bigger than your thumb! Ok, your palm maybe.
The top picture is the vaguely-asian dinner I made with the bok choi. It was salmon, grilled by the hus, the bok choi, stirfried with soy sauce, sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, s & p. Also, rice which I cooked in my rice cooker, and for once followed the advice I read once to rinse the rice, and it really did make it perfect. What a fool I've been all these years. It was all good, the girls really liked the rice, and I had to strip the baby after dinner lest she track rice throughout the house --her clothes were absolutely caked.


No comments: